Call for Proposals
The organizers of the DAVO Congress call upon scholars of all relevant disciplines, who engage in research on the contemporary Middle East (and its relations to other regions), to hand in:
- Proposals for pre-organized panels and
- Proposals for individual papers
Our understanding of the Middle East comprises the member states of the League of Arab States, Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, Turkey, Israel, and the Islamic states of the Commonwealth of Independent States.
Deadline for registration forms and fees is 31 July 2016. After that an additional fee becomes applicable.
The final program of the congress will be available on the DAVO website after 15 September 2016. For travel information and details on the location of the DAVO Congress please consult our Getting There section.
Pre-organized Panels and Individual Papers
Proposals for pre-organized panels and workshops on a common theme with at least three papers to be presented and chair are welcome. The coordinators of such pre-organized panels are also responsible for the quality of the papers and may reject papers with summaries of low quality.
Individual papers will be ordered thematically and summed up into panels. For every paper 20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion are planned. Accepted languages of presentation are German and English. Due to the international character of the congress, we prefer English contributions. Please hand in proposals for two papers per participant at maximum.
- For every proposed paper you have to send in a summary of approx. 300 words, for every proposed panel you have to send in a summary of 100 words at maximum.
- The deadline for the registration of papers and panels is 30 June 2016.
- The proposed papers will be accepted or rejected on the basis of the quality of the summary.
- The decision about the acceptance or rejection of the proposals will be announced until 22 July 2016.
Please use the respective forms for the registration of papers and panels, and also for the registration of your participation during the conference. The forms are also available at http://davo2016.org/registration/).
The registration forms of all participants of this meeting should arrive at the organizers of the DAVO Congress together with the registration fee not later than 31 July 2016. After that an additional fee becomes applicable.
Requirements for the Summaries of Proposed Panels and Papers
Every summary of the proposed papers and panels will be reviewed by two scholars who accept or refuse the proposed contribution according to the following criteria:
- Is the paper based on a clearly stated research question?
- What is the methodological approach of this paper? Does it develop an argument, does it attempt to verify a hypothesis, or does it answer the research question on the basis of the author`s empirical findings or the results of a study based on other sources?
- Does this paper take into account the latest state of research?
- Does this paper contain innovative aspects?
In the case of proposals for pre-organized panels the reviewers will examine:
- Do all contributions meet scientific standards?
- Is the panel well matched and does it offer a concerted input?
The review of the proposed panels will take into account the academic quality and the coherence of the papers. Please keep these academic standards in mind when you formulate the summary of your paper or pre-organized panel.
Call for Papers for Pre-organized Panels
Papers are invited for special open panels. To present a paper in these panels please send your abstracts (up to 300 words) to the panel convener(s) and to Amke Dietert (email@example.com) before 15 June 2016.